Like most people today, you likely seek out different ways to lower energy use in your Sugar Land area home. While doing things like upgrading to high-efficiency appliances is certainly smart, there are smaller changes you can make that will help save more energy. Using home lighting that lowers energy bills is one of the first changes you should make, and it’s a simple and fairly low-cost change. Learn more about the different types of home lighting, so you can determine which one will be most effective in your home.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can save about $50 annually by swapping 15 traditional incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient types. The following are some facts about the different kinds of light bulbs and how they stack up against traditional ones:
- Although halogen lights are better than traditional incandescent bulbs are, they’re not worth purchasing if you plan on replacing any bulbs.
- If you have any in your home, turn them off whenever they’re not in use.
Energy-Saving Incandescent or Halogen Bulbs
- Energy-saving incandescent bulbs and halogens bulbs can result in energy savings of up to 25 percent.
- They can last up to three times longer than traditional bulbs.
Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)
- CFLs can save up to 75 percent more energy.
- Energy Star-qualified CFLs last 10 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs and use 75 percent less energy.
- To maximize energy savings with CFLs, leave them on if you leave the room for 15 minutes or less, but should shut them off if you’ll be gone longer.
Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
- LEDs can lower your energy use by about 75 to 80 percent.
- Energy Star-qualified LEDs last 25 times longer than traditional bulbs.
- The life expectancy of LEDs isn’t impacted by turning them on and off.
- They turn on with full brightness almost immediately.
- They currently cost more to buy than other types, but are worth the investment.
Do you need more tips on choosing home lighting that lowers energy bills? Please feel free to contact us at ACS Absolute Comfort anytime.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com