Your Houston area home becomes very uncomfortable in the summer without air conditioning. If your cooling system is experiencing issues, use these tips for troubleshooting common A/C problems to get it running again quickly.
Condenser Doesn’t Turn On
- Change the thermostat setting: The problem might be fixed just by changing the thermostat setting. Ensure it’s calling for cold air and that the target temperature is cooler than the current temperature.
- Check the power: Make sure the A/C is plugged in. Then, go to the breaker box and reset any tripped breakers. Restore power and see if the system starts up.
- Call a professional: You can’t troubleshoot a faulty motor or compressor on your own, so call a professional if the above efforts fail to work.
Cooling isn’t Adequate
- Change the thermostat setting: Again, make sure the thermostat is calling for cool air.
- Clean the evaporator coil: This indoor component collects dirt over time. Clean it carefully and let the A/C run for a few hours to see if it worked.
- Consult a professional: It’s normal for air conditioners to struggle on extreme summer days. However, if your A/C can’t keep up when it’s only 85 degrees outside, it’s probably undersized. An HVAC contractor can help you replace your system with a properly sized one.
The Air isn’t as Cold as it Should Be
- Clean the condensing unit: This is the component sitting outside. Hose down the unit, pluck any trapped debris from its fins, and cut back tall grass or weeds to promote proper airflow.
- Call a technician: A faulty compressor or the wrong amount of refrigerant in the system could cause this A/C problem. A professional can sort it out if that’s the case.
The A/C Short Cycles
- Clean the A/C: Check both the indoor evaporator coil and the outdoor condensing unit for debris. Clean both if necessary.
- Consult a professional: Some air conditioners are destined to short cycle forever because they are oversized. An HVAC contractor can work with you to replace your system with a properly sized version.
For more help troubleshooting common A/C problems, contact ACS Absolute Comfort in Houston.
Image provided by Shutterstock.com